Home » Resources » Crew & Membership » Working with Children Check

Working With Children Check

Working with Children Check

As of the middle of 2006, it became a requirement for all members over 18 in Scouts Australia (Victorian Branch)  to hold a Working with Children's Card. The card was introduced by the Victorian Government to protect children in organisations in which youth are in their care. For example, Schools, Kindergartens, Child Care, Scouting, Youth Groups. The card is basically an ongoing police check to ensure you don't have any criminal convictions that have or may place children at risk.

Due to the specific requirements of the legislation about when a card is required, to simplify the process it was decided by the Victorian Branch that all members over 18 require the card.

This means if you are over 18, you require a card to be a member of the organisation. If you don't have a card, you will be eventually deregistered from the organisation and you will not be permitted to attend or participate in Scouting related activities.

What do I need to do?

Step 1: Obtain a Working with Children's Card

Visit your local post-office to obtain a Working with Children's Check Form. These are blue and white and are usually kept with the Passport Application Forms. If you need help, ask the attendant behind the counter to point you in the right direction.

To find a post office near you, visit the Australia Post - Find an Outlet page. When you search for an outlet, ensure you select Working with Children Check - VIC under the Application & Form Lodgement section.

The form requires some general details, such as your home address, phone number etc.

The form asks you to declare specifically what organisation you are involved with. These are outlined in Section 11 and 12 of the form.

For section 11, use Code 10 & 42 and place an X in the volunteer category.
For section 12, the details of the organisation is: Scouts Australia - Victorian Branch, 152 Forster Road, Mt Waverley 3149. Contact phone number is 03 8543 9800.

To obtain a card, you will need identification and some passport photos. Most post offices can take passport photos and have them ready for you at the same time. For a full list of possible identification forms please see the form. Possible ID methods include (and not limited to) Passport, Birth Certificate, Bank Statements, Drivers Licences.

Do not sign or stick in your photo in the application until you are at the Post Office and the attendant does it for you.

The process at the post office only takes about 15-20 minutes if you have all the required paperwork. Once complete they will give you a copy of a receipt of your WWC lodgement. It will take a minimum of four weeks to recieve your card. If you provide your receipt number (see step 2 below) to your Scout Service Centre or Group Leader, you will remain registered in Scouting. Don't panic!

For more information about applying, please see the Working with Children's site at the Department of Justice.

Step 2: You need to provide the receipt number for the application to your nearest Scout Centre.

Once you submit your form at the Post Office they will give you a receipt number. Once you have that number you need to contact your nearest Scout Service Centre or Group Leader.

More Information

If you have any queries regarding the Working with Children's Check. Please do not hesitate to contact the BRC Chairman or Branch Commissioner for Rovers or the Department of Justice.

Frequently Asked Questions

We have put together a list of frequently asked questions relating to the Working with Children's Check and Crews at Events and activities, you can download a copy of the information below:

Who requires a working with children’s check card?

Anyone who is a member of scouting and is over 18 must hold a working with children’s check. This is a requirement of Scouts Policy, which you must adhere to as a registered member. If you do not hold a card you cannot be a member of the movement.

What about visitors to our crew or guests (such as significant others etc) we bring with us to events?

They will not require a card. Victorian Law applies as to the requirement of carrying a card. Remember, there is a short grace period after being registered as a member of the movement before you must acquire a WWC card. Once this grace period is reached the visitor cannot attend any Scouting activity or event until they are have a WWC. If you are over 18, to be a member of Scouting you must have a card.

How does this affect people at events?

Visitors are permitted, along with any guests of the crew as long as they adhere to the requirements of Scouting and Victorian Law. Remember if you are bringing guests to an event, they cannot supervise anyone under 18. Your crew (and ultimately the crew leader) is responsible for the conduct of any guests at an event. Offences will be dealt with severely.

What about motorsport?

To be a member of Rover Scout Motorsport, you must be a registered member of Scouts Australia. You are automatically a member in Victoria when you are in the Rover Section. If you are not a member of the association, you are not a member of RSM. Depending on the event, it will be either a closed club or open event. Most events on the Rover Motorsport Calendar are closed events (like Lead Foot & Mudbash), therefore you must be a member of RSM Victoria.

Remember, events cross check your membership with records held at Scouts HQ. If you are not a member you will not be permitted to compete.

What if I am a Rover and don’t have a card?

This means you are no longer registered. Scouts Australia would have mailed you numerous warning letters regarding being issued a card. Additionally every region chair has been informed to get in contact with you.

What about Interstate Visitors to events?

As per branch policy and Victorian Law, visitors to the state do not require a card.

What if I already have a card? Can I use that within Scouting?

Yes, you can. However, you must inform the Department of Justice that you are also a member of the Scout Association. You can do this with a change of details form and submit this to the Department of Justice.

As you won't get a receipt since you already have the card, you will need to take a photocopy of the card itself and send that to your local Scout Service Centre.

You can now change your details online by registering on the Depeartment of Justice Website

NOTE! If you update your details using a paper form, you still need to declare ALL organisations you are apart of on the form, including the one you originally obtained the card for. The Change of Details form will delete any existing memberships and add the ones listed on the form.