Home » Training » Adventurous Activities

Adventurous Activities Training

Scouts Australia offers Adventurous Activities training in a number of areas across Australia, such as Bushwalking, Caving, Rock Climbing, Ski Touring, Canoeing, Kayaking and Sailing, from the Nationally Recognised Training package SIS10 - the Sports & Recreation package.

There is also training available in areas not a part of the SIS10 training scheme, such as the Australian Government's Civil Aviation Safety Authority licensing scheme or "pilot licensing" for Air Activities.

Completing adventurous activities training does not mean that you will be required to join an Adventurous Activities team.
Although, they would love it if you can give them a hand sometimes.

What Are the Adventurous Activity Teams?

Scouts Victoria has a number of groups of Leaders and Rovers who are qualified to look after various Adventurous Activities. These teams include:

Abseiling Air Activities Bushwalking Caving Canoeing
Four Wheel Driving Power Boating Mountain Biking Rafting Rock Climbing
Ropes Sailing Scuba Diving Ski Touring Water Skiing

Nationally Recognised Qualifications

The Scouts Australia Institute of Training assesses two Outdoor Recreation qualifications:

  • SIS20210 Certificate II in Outdoor Recreation
  • SIS30410 Certificate III in Outdoor Recreation

These qualifications can be gained by completing Scout adventurous activities training and, like all Nationally Recognised Training, they also are accepted in the wider community. For more information see the Qualifications page.

How do I apply?

Generally, you send a complete TR1 Form to the Training Office at the Victorian Scout Centre, however some Activities Teams prefer you to send the application directly to their training officer - those teams will have this clearly stated in their training information.

Some courses are listed on the Extranet, and you may be able to apply online for those courses.

Activities Activities Appointments

As mentioned above, it is entirely up to you whether you take up an appointment in Adventurous Activities, and what Formation the appointment is attached to. Like all Leaders, you will need to complete some forms, undergo a National Police Check, and sign a Mutual Agreement

Who do I contact for more information?

The Victorian Rover Council Adventurous Activities Officer - This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The State Commissioner - Adventurous Activities - This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The relevant Activity Team (see MyScout pages linked above)