To assist Rover Advisors in their role, a set of draft expectations have been produced by Chris Young (former ABC Development & Training) with assistance from Rover Advisors throughout the state.
A copy is available for download as a PDF at the end of this page.
Expectations of a Rover Advisor
Rover Advisors build open and honest relationships with Rovers in order to allow them to maximise their Physical, Intellectual, Social, Spiritual and Emotional development.
PROVIDES A CLEAR SENSE OF DIRECTION
- Provides the Crew with the skills to enable them to solve problems without solving them for them
- Acknowledging that making mistakes is part of a learning process and that when mistakes are made, they are not ignored and the Crew learns from them
- Is proactive in assisting the Crew to provide interesting and relevant activities for its members; including taking on an organising role when required
- Maintains the consistency and integrity of the Rover Crew
- Ensures that the Crew are aware of the moral, legal and ethical obligations
LEADS BY EXAMPLE
- Reserves judgments and keeps an open mind
- Behaves in accordance with the Adult Code of Conduct
- Sets a high standard of behaviour and acts positively
- Demonstrates drive, energy, initiative and personal accountability to get results for their Crews
- Develops constructive relationships with Crew members
- Completes all appropriate training in a timely manner
CREATES AND SUSTAINS AN ENVIRONMENT FOR ROVERS TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- Acts as a mentor for the Crew
- Develops the Executive to operate an effective Crew
- Ensures a climate exists where Rovers feel comfortable in raising issues
- Understands the learning needs of Rovers and provides them with opportunities to achieve success both for the Crew and individually
- Ensures that fun is an integral part of the Rover Crew.
DEMONSTRATES INTEGRITY WHEN DEALING WITH DIFFICULT ISSUES
- Takes a leading role in addressing difficult situations and works towards resolution in a quick and efficient manner
- Is not afraid to address conflict, ensuring it is dealt with quickly to avoid unnecessary escalation.
- Provides sound advice based on accurate information and listening in an unbiased way to what people say
IS AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF THEIR ROVER CREW
- Ensures that the Crew has a well balanced active program.
- Actively encourages all Rovers to participate in relevant training
- Develops and maintains a good working relationship with their Group/District
- Empowers the Crew to be accountable for their actions.