Rovers Victoria

Working with Children Check

As of the middle of 2006, it became a requirement for all members over 18 in Scouts Victoria  to hold a Working with Children's Card. The card was introduced by the Victorian Government to protect children in organisations in which youth are in their care. For example, Schools, Kindergartens, Child Care, Scouting, Youth Groups. The card is basically an ongoing police check to ensure you don't have any criminal convictions that have or may place children at risk.

Due to the specific requirements of the legislation about when a card is required, to simplify the process it was decided by the State Association that all members over 18 require the card.

This means if you are over 18, you require a card to be a member of the organisation. If you don't have a card, you will be eventually deregistered from the organisation and you will not be permitted to attend or participate in Scouting related activities.

What do I need to do?

Step 1: Obtain a Working with Children's Check

Visit the Working With Children's Check website to begin this process.

  • In order to apply for a Working With Children's Check, you will need:
  • an email address
  • the address of every place you have lived in the last 5 years in Australia
  • the name, postal address and phone number in Australia for each organisation you will be doing paid or volunteer child-related work for (see below)
  • a printer that will print a legible copy of the Application summary.

You can visit your local post-office to obtain a Working with Children's Check Form. These are blue and white and are usually kept with the Passport Application Forms. If you need help, ask the attendant behind the counter to point you in the right direction.

To find a post office near you, visit the Australia Post - Find an Outlet page. When you search for an outlet, ensure you select Working with Children Check - VIC under the Application & Form Lodgement section.

The application asks you to declare specifically what organisation you are involved with. These are outlined in Section 11 and 12 of the application.

For section 11, use Code 10 & 42 and place an X in the volunteer category.
For section 12, the details of the organisation is: Scouts Australia - Victorian Branch, 152 Forster Road, Mt Waverley 3149. Contact phone number is 03 8543 9800.

To obtain a card, you will need identification and some passport photos. Most post offices can take passport photos and have them ready for you at the same time. For a full list of possible identification forms please see the form. Possible ID methods include (and not limited to) Passport, Birth Certificate, Bank Statements, Drivers Licences.

Do not sign or stick in your photo in the application until you are at the Post Office and the attendant does it for you.

The process at the post office only takes about 15-20 minutes if you have all the required paperwork. Once complete they will give you a copy of a receipt of your WWC lodgement. It will take a minimum of four weeks to recieve your card. If you provide your receipt number (see step 2 below) to the Victorian Scout Centre or Group Leader, you will remain registered in Scouting. Don't panic!

For more information about applying, please see the Working With Children Check website.

Step 2: You need to provide the receipt number for the application to your nearest Scout Centre.

Once you submit your form at the Post Office they will give you a receipt number. Once you have that number you need to contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or your Group Leader.

More Information

If you have any queries regarding the Working with Children's Check. Please do not hesitate to contact the VRC Chairman or State Commissioner - Rover Support or the Department of Justice.

Frequently Asked Questions

For questions about the Working with Children's Check, visit the Working With Children Check website.

To check the status of your Working with Children's Check, visit the WWCC website Check Status page.

See below for questions about the Working with Children's Check and Victorian Rovers:

Do I need a Working with Children’s Check?


Anyone who is a member of scouting and is over 18 must hold a Working with Children’s Check. This is now a legal requirement, meaning that if you do not hold a card you cannot be a member of Scouts Victoria.

But I am currently registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching, a member of Victoria Police/the Australian Federal Police, or am otherwise exempt

Scouts Victoria policy requires you to hold a Working With Children's Check regardless. This is both to simplify our processes, and because privacy legislation prohibits those organisations from informing Scouts Victoria when and why you cease to hold your exemption.

How does this affect guests at Rover events?

Visitors are permitted, along with any guests of the Crew as long as they adhere to the requirements of Scouting and Victorian Law. Remember if you are bringing guests to an event, they cannot supervise anyone under 18. Your Crew (and ultimately the Crew Leader) is responsible for the conduct of any guests at an event. Offences will be dealt with severely.

What about motorsport?

Most events on the Rover Motorsport Calendar are closed-club events (like Lead Foot & Mudbash), and to compete at closed events you must be a member of the CAMS-affiliated club running the event — in our case, Rover Scout Motorsport Victoria.

To be a member of Rover Scout Motorsport, you must be a registered member of Scouts Australia, Girl Guides Victoria, or associated entities, such as Scouts New Zealand. You are automatically a member in Victoria when you are in the Rover Section. If you are not a member of one of these association, you can not be a member of RSM.

Remember, events cross check your membership with records held at Scouts HQ. If you are not a member you will not be permitted to compete.

What if I am a Rover and don’t have a card?

This means you are no longer registered. Scouts Victoria would have mailed you numerous warning letters regarding being issued a card. Additionally every Region Chair has been informed to get in contact with you.

What about Interstate Visitors to events?

Under the law, interstate visitors can do child-related work in Victoria without a Victorian WWC Check for a period of up to 30 days in the same calendar year. These 30 days can be consecutive or non-consecutive.

What if I already have a card? Can I use that within Scouting?

Yes, you can. However, you must inform the Department of Justice that you are also a member of Scouts Victoria. You can do this through the Working With Children Check website.

As you won't get a receipt since you already have the card, you will need to take a photocopy of the card itself and send that to the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..